Friday 9 July 2010

Would I lie to you?

I'm looking for another contract role, and I'd like it to be a good one for three reasons:

1. A higher rate will enable me to pay off my debts faster.

2. I really want to sharpen up my finance knowledge and mathematical skills - in case I end up getting into financial journalism, and my project skills because they'll inevitably be useful for any kind of development work I get into. Also I generally find this stuff quite interesting.

3. I perform much better, and in some ways enjoy work much more, when I'm way out of my depth.

So I'm trying to strike the balance between doing the easier-to-get & extremely lucrative but less challenging roles, and the more challenging ones that are a much longer shot, might take more time to find, and for which I might have to offer a lower rate. You'd think that more challenging roles would pay more, but the market is kinda screwed up right now. Credit Risk Change divisions have very inflated budgets.

More draining than this though, is being constantly lied to by recruitment agencies. This week I've had:

"They won't pay more than x"
when the guy's already agreed > x with the company and put this in writing to me

"I've also put your friend forward for this role but don't worry they're recruiting a couple of people for this position so this won't in any way jeapordise your chances. I wouldn't do that!"
when the interviewer specifically told me that he is recruiting just one person

"You told me you wanted me to put you forward for this role so I've already sent your CV over"
Well the part about him sending my CV was true, but the role was in my old department. I definitely hadn't seen it and would never have agreed to it.

Ahh the joys of job hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment