Tuesday 1 December 2009

Dropping In

It's been so long since I posted that I could only just about remember my password.

I've been pretty busy holding myself to my own promises from last post...mostly finding a job, and now I am blogging from the office which feels pretty good.

So I'm dropping back in to the corporate world. Part of the reason I chose this blog name was because I was worried about getting caught up in some temp job and forgetting about all the things I really wanted to do. But so far I don't think there's a huge danger of that.

There are some things I like about this lifestyle - money, human interaction, the ease with which you can look after your health when you have a routine, fighting (in a professional sense...I love a good battle at work), company events, training courses, motivational speakers, freebies, decent coffee, etc. - and I am embracing those. I work in a beautiful location on the river. People seem nice enough. The work seems as though it will be fairly stimulating. I am happy to be here for now.

And honestly after a month off it's a slight relief to have some organisation and structure imposed on me. Still have a lot of work to do there.

Why am I so sure I'm only dropping in?

Because today I read a 45 page document about a Value-at-Risk model - the kind of document I'll be expected to produce myself in this role, followed by an article by my favourite journalist, Gideon Rachman, and I knew which one I would have wanted to put my name to. Ok, so most people would make the same choice, but the point is that I thought about it immediately on reading the article, as though being the Chief Foreign Affairs columnist for the Financial Times (or similar) were somehow a possibility for me (a foolishly optimistic thought I'm sure). At least for now, I still read the interesting stuff and feel that burning desire to be a part of it, and everything else just serves as a contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment