Thursday 14 January 2010

Beautiful Words Deserve Beautiful Letters

I talked in this post about how much I liked the story of Steve Jobs' calligraphy course. Today I had a surprise calligraphy lesson of my own (or maybe typography, not sure I understand the distinction yet), and I think it may also turn out to be fairly useful!

I learnt a few basics about how to lay out documents/websites/etc in a way that makes them more readable and less visually distracting - probably good for anyone to know, but particularly for me right now since I have a website to design, and some application forms and articles to write.

Wikipedia will of course explain it all so I won't write it out here. Some basics are the CRAP principle (Contrast Repetition Alignment Proximity), rivers of white, serif & sans serif fonts, spacing & kerning. This is a great website too: http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/basics/readability.php

And the teacher? One of the politicians who is still deciding whether or not to make me an ally. But I think that actually makes the surprise a little sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment