Tuesday 2 February 2010

Daring to Dream


Sometimes I'm so scared about this career change stuff, and at other times nothing frightens me more than my own ambition.

I just listened to a speech by Muhammed Yunus, the founder of microfinance, as research for an article I'm writing. The more I look into the field of International Development, the more I am struck by the immense power behind simple ideas. The kind of ideas that seem outlandish or counterintuitive at the time - like lending money to the poor instead of giving it (microfinance), or teaching people how to make a rough rehydration solution with water, sugar & salt instead of providing them with those perfectly formulated little Dioralyte sachets (BRAC). The kind of ideas that create economies and end cholera epidemics and that, because of their simplicity, work and grow and last through generations.

This is going to sound terribly big-headed, but I see myself or my potential in some of those talks, articles & stories. I feel like I was given this brain and these talents and interests and personal qualities that, of course, need a whole load of fine-tuning, but that could actually one day be used to do something amazing...or at least, something that is amazing to me.

I know I have so much work to do, and so many weaknesses to overcome, and there will be plenty of posts about those, but right now I'm just enjoying the feeling that anything is possible if you dare to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment