Wednesday 17 February 2010

Running Towards My Goals

This isn't the first and won't be the last mention of running in what is supposed to be my 'career blog'. For some reason in my mind the two are completely intertwined. I do some of my best thinking about my career & life in general while I'm running; and I think about running,well, all the time really, but particularly when I need to be reminded of what I can accomplish or of how much I can c*ck up if I don't do things properly.

There are many parralels. They are both long term challenges, and in that way both benefit from steady, structured, incremental progress and defined goals. Both come with their critics (in terms of my ability or suitability to them), both test me to my limits and demand huge amounts of mental discipline, and yet both are rewarding enough to make it all worthwhile. They both teach me a lot about myself, and help me to grow, and - this is important - they both inspire in me a similar level of hunger and ambition.

A race training programme teaches me discipline and the value of practice and progress. Aches and injuries teach me to have restraint, and the strength it takes to start again and work towards revised (downward) goals. And every run is a journey in itself, with highs and lows to overcome - the achy bit at the beginning that you just have to push through, the 'yes I'm past halfway!' bit, the lovely little discoveries you can make when you turn a corner, the weather, the exhaustion, the dehydration, the exhilaration, the 'oh my god did I actually just run 10 miles?!' feelings of pride and accomplishment, etc. And so, like all good journeys, I leave each one knowing a little bit more about what I can achieve and how I can do better, and with lasting memories to call on when I need those reminders.

The strong connection I feel between running and my career journey is usually a good thing, with one often providing inspiration, clarity and direction for the other. But today, my shin splints are enough to throw me into a state of complete demoralisation about my life - a state from which, I'm sure, I'll emerge stronger and fighting. It's just so hard in the meantime to feel that everything is still so far out of my reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment